This inner city regeneration project included the redevelopment of the Kennedy Shopping Centre and the construction of a new two storey Jobs & Benefits Office in Andersonstown. Works included:
• Phase 2 – Refurbishment of the existing live Mall
• Phase 3 – Bulk Storage Warehouse
• Phase 4 – Construction of a new Sainsbury’s building including basement car park and new mall link into existing buildings
• Phase 5 – Demolition of Curley’s Supermarket; New Mall to link Phases 2&4 with 20 new retail units.
• Fit Outs – Following on from Phase 5 we fitted out 11 out of 20 retail units providing a combination of landlord and full shop fit-outs for tenants.
The entire redevelopment of the Kennedy Centre and new JBO site was delivered within a live operational environment. It was vital that we allowed the tenants to continue trading un-hindered and that the public’s safety was first priority. At all times we implemented our “Good Neighbour Policy” ensuring that traders understood what works would be going on each day. As part of this policy we ensured that noisy or particularly disruptive works were done out of trading hours.
The design strategy was agreed in advance with agreement from the Kennedy Family and Tenants. We worked closely with the design team and supply teams to help develop details and ensure design release in advance of construction and procurement requirements. We held weekly design review meetings with the clients design and supply teams and carefully managed all interfaces to ensure clear lines of responsibility and delivery and delivered each section of the work defect free. We ensured that the new JBO achieved a BREEAM rating of “Excellent”
The key constraint was to maintain a live centre at all times. This was successfully achieved with zero down time for any of the existing tenants. Site access and deliveries were taken in from the rear of the centre.
We segregated traffic from Sainsbury’s delivery vehicles to avoid disruption to their service. We had limited storage at all stages of the development and adopted just in time deliveries.
Request a Capability Document
- 250,000 sq ft
- 28,000m2 retail space over 3 storeys
- Mall extension for over 45 stores
- Sainsbury’s retail facility
- 800 space car park & basement car park
- Strip & Pad Foundations
- Steel frame superstructure
- Kingspan Top Deck roofing
- Kingspan Architectural flat panels and Instock BRKK/ feature block and curtain walling to shop fronts
- Service installations for utility intakes including spare ducts for future fit-outs