This project involved a two storey new build education facility on a brown field site adjacent to the existing Bolton College Campus. Heron Bros Ltd provided high quality Motor Vehicle Workshop practical teaching facilities on the ground floor. On the first floor there is specialist diagnostic, welding, paint spraying and extraction systems, and classrooms/ high spec electronics labs and ancillary support accommodation. Due to the close proximity to the existing building, space was severely limited and the construction sequence had to be planned in great detail to acknowledge this. The new services installations had to integrate with the existing College infrastructure including telecoms, data, fire & intruder alarms and BMS systems. The project required a high level of collaboration between site and the College’s Construction Faculty resulting in numerous talks, case studies and site visits.
Access to the site was restricted as the College remained in use during the works therefore a comprehensive and strict traffic/pedestrian management plan was compiled in collaboration with the college to minimise disruption from noise and dust etc. to the College’s day to day routine.
We delivered the scheme through our internationally accredited to ISO 9001, 14001, 18001 Integrated Management System (IMS) and Operating Procedure OP02 which incorporates a 10 Stage Collaboration Management Plan. We engaged in Early Contractor Involvement in both the Vehicle Maintenance and STEM facilities given the proximity to the other operational buildings and operators in the campus.
Request a Capability Document
- Construction of Bolton College STEM Facilities with Stage D/E design including teaching classroom accommodation
- Cellular specialist equipment areas
- Administration buildings with state of the art offices/meeting/rooms/open plan offices and write up space.
- Specialist M&E – Chemistry lab equipment/Fume cupboards/Ventilation/Pressure systems
- Multi-Storey construction.
- Open plan laboratory/Workshop areas
- Training, catering, café, communal accommodation
- Expansive hard standing & distribution area
- BREEAM Rating: Very Good