City Quays 1
In our commercial offices sector, we constructed highly flexible Grade A office accommodation to meet the long term aspirations of our client, the Belfast Harbour Commissioners, and to meet the occupational needs of their local and international users. The project was the first phase in the City Quays redevelopment and provided 75,000 sq ft of Grade A Offices over 5 floors of flexible space to a Cat A finish. It achieved a BREEAM Excellent, and Platinum Rating for the BITC Benchmarking Survey.
We were tasked to deliver a functional and uplifting building at the right cost with high quality designs and specialist components seamlessly integrated. We achieved all synergies between building form, function and operational efficiencies through quality, sustainable and energy efficient solutions that included key specialised sub-contractor packages.
A key area of value engineering that Heron Bros Ltd brought to this project was in the façade glass. As can be seen from the images above the envelop relies heavily on glass aesthetic and the original specification was to use an expensive Pilkington glass manufactured in the US with a 25 week lead in time. We worked with our supply chain to source the glass locally using Glass Seal to provide the same properties adding value by providing a cost saving, vastly reduced lead in time and future added value through quicker and cheaper replacement for the Clients FM Team.
CQ1 designed to Grade A specification achieved BREEAM ‘Excellent’ representing ‘Best Practice’ in the industry, performing within the top 10% of UK new non-domestic buildings.
Heron Bros. Ltd were heavily involved in the contractor design from project commencement realising from an early stage that such a modern and progressive development required high levels of sustainability to attract inward investment and meet growing demand for Grade A office accommodation. Achieving such a high level of sustainability required the incorporation of the following elements throughout the design and construction of the building:
- Installation of 100% LED lighting throughout the building
- PIR sensors utilised throughout to avoid lights being left on unnecessarily
- Smart Electronic System
- Prefabricated design, no wet trades
- Next generation energy efficient glazing technology
- Push button taps/low flush urinals minimising water usage
- Variable refrigerant flow system paired with high coefficient of performance heat pumps for heating and cooling complimented by high performance solar control glazing
- Roof-mounted photovoltaic array to provide energy for direct use within the common areas of the building
- Increasing floor to floor heights at lower levels to maintain maximum daylight penetration
- 75,000 sq ft
- Grade A Offices over 5 floors
- Cat A finish
- BREEAM Excellent
- Platinum Rating for the BITC Benchmarking Survey